Do you grow plants in unusual places? We’d like to hear from you!
Enter the Guardian Grows competition and inspire us with your most inventive means of planting. Whether you’re growing flowers in upcycled wellies or vegetables in an old kitchen sink, share your most original places to grow plants – one photo per person please – for the chance to win up to £100 in garden centre vouchers.
We want to prove that you don’t need acres of land to enjoy planting. The winning images will be publicly displayed in the Guardian lobby from 20 July – 2 Aug.
The competition closes midnight on 30th June 2014. Don’t forget to read the terms and conditions below.
Terms and Conditions – Guardian grows GuardianWitness Competition
Entering the Competition
- The Guardian Grows GuardianWitness competition (the “Competition”) is open to UK residents aged 18 and over.
- The Competition is not open to employees or agencies of Guardian News & Media Limited (“GNM” or the “Promoter”), their group companies or family members, freelance contributors to GNM or anyone else connected to the Competition.
- Entrants into the Competition shall be deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions.
- To enter the Competition you must sign in to GuardianWitness (on desktop, Android or iPhone app) using your Guardian, Facebook or Twitter account and submit a photograph of an unusual method for growing plants. In submitting your entry, you must follow the instructions on GuardianWitness (including as to file format and size). No purchase is necessary. If you have any questions about how to enter or otherwise in connection with the Competition, please email us at email@example.com with “Guardian Grows” Witness Competition” in the subject line.
- Only one entry per person. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed. You are responsible for the cost (if any) of sending your Competition entry to us. The winner shall be the owner of the Guardian, Facebook or Twitter account from which the selected winning entry is sent.
- GNM accepts no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt by GNM.
- The Competition opens at 11am on 3 June 2014 and closes at 23.59 on 30 June 2014. Entries received outside this time period will not be considered. GNM reserves the right in its absolute discretion to extend the closing date where the entries received are of insufficient quality.
- You own the copyright to your Competition entry as its author. If another person has photographed your entry, you warrant that you have received an assignment of all associated copyright to that entry from that person. The Promoter may ask to see evidence of that assignment at any time.
- By submitting an entry to the Competition, you give GNM: a) Permission for your entry to be published on GNM websites including but not limited to witness.theguardian.com and theguardian.com (“GNM Websites”) and on any social media account controlled by GNM, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter accounts (“GNM Social Media Accounts”) , and you grant GNM a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use and publish your Competition entry in electronic format (including on GNM Websites and GNM Social Media Accounts) and hard copy (including in GNM publications) for purposes connected with the Competition, and to adapt the entry to enable such publication (including to crop or otherwise edit it for such purposes), and you hereby irrevocably waive, for the benefit of GNM, all moral rights in the entry to which you are entitled; and b) The right to use your name and county of residence for the sole purpose of identifying you as the author of your entry and/or as a winner of the Competition.
- Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use, must not promote any goods or services or include any trade marks (other than those belonging to the Promoter), and must not show inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, or otherwise be obscene, defamatory, distasteful, offensive, or in breach of any applicable law or regulation, or in breach of any confidentiality obligations owed by you to third parties. If we have reason to believe your entry is in breach of this paragraph 10 then we may not consider it and may disqualify it.
- Entrants confirm that each individual whose image is featured in the Competition entry has given consent for the use of his/her image in connection with this Competition and in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Where an individual whose image is featured in a Competition entry is aged less than 18 years the entrant confirms that the parent or guardian of that individual has given the relevant consent.
- We may disqualify your Competition entry for the following reasons: your entry does not comply with these Terms and Conditions; you have not obtained the consents detailed in paragraph 11 above; you are not eligible to enter the Competition; or you cannot be contacted. In the event of disqualification, we may select a new winner in accordance with the selection processes outlined below.
Picking the winner
- A judge who is independent of GNM will select the best 8 entries from all Competition entries received in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, using the criteria described in paragraph 14. The judge reserves the right in his/her absolute discretion to include fewer than 8 entries in the shortlist where the valid entries received in accordance with these Terms and Conditions are, in his/her reasonable opinion, of insufficient quality. Full details of the judging process and the name of the judge are available on request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When choosing the winners, the judge will consider the most original images which have the most impact.
- The judge will select the winning entry on or before 4th July 2014.The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Competition winners will receive vouchers which can be used to purchase items sold at the Guardian Garden Centre (http://www.guardiangardencentre.co.uk/), as follows:
1st prize: £100 voucher;
2nd prize: £75 voucher;
3rd and 4th prizes: £50 voucher (each);
and 5th to 8th prize: £25 voucher (each).
Vouchers must be used in full against a single transaction. The voucher has no cash value and no change will be given. Any spend above the value of the voucher must be paid for by the winner. The voucher may only be used by the original recipient. Vouchers must be used within 6 months of the date of issue. The voucher may only be redeemed over the phone against items sold by the Guardian Garden centre: (http://www.guardiangardencentre.co.uk/).
- The winners will be notified by phone or email on or before 4th July 2014 and given details of how to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to GNM within 14 days of being notified of their win, that winner’s prize will be forfeited and GNM shall be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above (and that winner will have to respond to notification of their win within 14 days or else they will also forfeit their prize). If a winner rejects their prize or the entry is invalid or in breach of these Terms and Conditions, the winner’s prize will be forfeited and GNM shall be entitled to select another winner.
- Prizes will be sent to the winner by 31st July 2014.
- The prizes are non-exchangeable, non-transferable and are not redeemable for cash or any other prize. You must pay all other costs associated with the prize and not specifically included in the prize.
- GNM reserves the right to substitute the prize with an alternative prize of similar value in the event that the original prize offered is not available.
Some other rules
- The name and county of the winner can be obtained after 30th June 2014 by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Reader offers, Guardian News & Media Limited, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU.
- The winner may be required to take part in promotional activity related to the Competition and the winner shall participate in such activity on the Promoter’s reasonable request. The winner consents to the use by the Promoter and its related companies, both before and after the closing date of the Competition for an unlimited time, of the winner’s voice, image, photograph and name for publicity purposes (in any medium, including still photographs and films, and on the internet, including any websites hosted by the Promoter and its related companies) and in advertising, marketing or promotional material without additional compensation or prior notice and, in entering the Competition, all entrants consent to the same.
- GNM accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the Competition or accepting the prize. GNM further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude the liability of GNM under law for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
- GNM reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its reasonable control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of GNM in all matters relating to the Competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- GNM shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this Competition where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
- The Competition and these Terms and Conditions will be governed by English law and entrants to the Competition submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- Promoter: Guardian News & Media Limited, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9GU.